Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Spreadsheet formulas
21-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Spreadsheet formulas
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the spreadsheet properly, I have used all the help functions on the calculator, but cannot seem to make mine act how I feel it should.

If I enter a range of values in column A, I will then go to column B, select the header cell, and type an equation (say =A*5). I would expect this to multiply all values within column A by 5 and then store this value in the corresponding row (so A1*5=B1). Instead of this, I just get all of the column B showing 0.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug? I have the most recent firmware, and resetting the spreadsheet app does not resolve this.

Many thanks,
JP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2016 11:31 AM by Klaas Kuperus.)
RE: Spreadsheet formulas
Dear JP,

The spreadsheet on the HP-Prime is different from others; the letter A does not stand for the A column, but for the variable A, in your example the variable A was probably not declared and has the value 0.

To use the A column (as a whole), give the column a name: walk to the cell containing the A on top of the A column, press Frmat and choose name: QQ, then move to the cell containing B above the B column and type = QQ*5.

Hope this helps?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2016, 05:05 PM
That worked perfectly! Thank you very much for your help!
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Hello,

You can also refer to a column or a row by using the A:A or 3:3 syntax.
Naming them is not a must.

Cyrille
08-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the addition, Cyrille! Good to see you here too. Smile

-Klaas.